R&D Chief Engineer, Hydrogen (flexible location)
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
You will be working as a R&D Chief Engineer and will be part of the newly formed Hydrogen PG that drives our effort in accelerating the green hydrogen economy and enabling a low carbon society. In this role, you will be responsible initiate and drive technology and product development using in-depth technical expertise in a specific area or a broad range of skills in a technical field. You will coordinate a team of engineers together with a Project Manager to complete new product development projects and manage and coordinate development activities with external technology partners.You will report to the Global Product & Technology Manager.***The ideal candidate is located in Germany, Finland, Poland or China.***
This position reports to
Global Product & Technology Manager
- Operates as a chief engineer in new product development projects and is responsible for design results of the projects.
- Supports strategic technology direction through own work and by proposing innovative technology development, application and solutions. Maintains awareness of state-of-art technology and market trends affecting company products and services and recommends appropriate actions in response.
- Conducts analyses and develops recommendations based on sound engineering practices and business considerations. Plans, conducts and co-ordinates a range of complex engineering activities encompassing one or more disciplines.
- Applies a variety of accepted scientific principles and technology concepts as well as having the resourcefulness to apply new methodologies and technologies to projects and problems. Submits invention disclosures and implements creative ideas based on customer needs.
- Serves as a consultant to management and customers regarding projects and advanced technical studies, advises on their potential application and the resolution of complex problems. Proactively identifies customer value, develops and implements measures to improve operations and customer satisfaction.
- Makes presentations at internal or external meetings and contributes to publications and conferences.
- Monitors and develops IP strategies within own area of expertise based on good understanding of IP strategies and competitors' patents in relevant ABB domains.
- Actively works to identify and mitigate risks in research and development (R&D) projects and activities.
- 10+ years industry experience and 5+ years of work experience in product development in senior level
- Knowledge of ABB products, industrial electrical installations, wind turbine drivetrains, medium voltage drives, fuel cells and/or DC grids
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in area of Power Electronics or related field
- You are open-minded and willing to create a comprehensive network outside own organization
- An entrepreneurial mindset and a professional, "hands-on" workstyle
- Ability to navigate in a dynamically changing and multi-cultural environment, flexible with creative thinking.
- Prior experience in a start-up/scale-up environment is a plus
- Fluent English language skills
More about us
ABB System Drives is a global supplier of high-power, high-performance drives, drive systems and packages for industrial processes and large infrastructure applications. With our industry leading technology and global support, we help our customers, partners and equipment manufacturers with asset reliability, performance improvement and energy efficiency in mission critical applications. Our people and culture are the foundation of our success. We all together make the difference for our customers every day.For further information:Gabor Kiss - Senior Global Talent PartnerABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd.We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.#LI-Hybrid