(Senior) Scientist – Dielectric Materials for Electrification (80-100%) m/w/dTake your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
In this role, you will help defining engineering opportunities in the ABB materials for electrification portfolio. You specify requirements and develop innovative materials solutions applying advanced manufacturing techniques for a sustainable energy generation and distribution.
You connect experimental research with state-of-the-art materials analysis and electrical testing techniques to develop new materials focused on next-generation electrification products.
- Conducting material science research related to polymers and composites through projects with direct industrial relevance
- Working in interdisciplinary project teams at the interface between material science and electrical engineering
- Contributing to a deep scientific understanding of the structure-property relationships in polymer materials
- Integrating sustainability concepts and approaches in the development of new technologies and solutions
- Monitoring of new material developments and technologies
- Contributing to the planning, setup, and execution of experiments
- Driving research activities, generating intellectual property and writing scientific publications
- Closely cooperate with scientists and engineers from universities and global ABB divisions
- Experience in practical laboratory work applying polymer development and advanced shaping methods
- Knowledge and experience of state-of-the-art materials analysis techniques
- Background in polymer physics, dielectrics or an area with relevance to power conditioning, circuit breakers, electrical switchgear, or electrical insulation and safety is a strong advantage
- Basic understanding of the concepts used to quantify the environmental footprint of products and solutions is a plus
- Genuine enthusiasm for working on topics enabling the energy transition and ensuring a greener society
- Curiosity, creativity, critical thinking and initiative
- A collaborative, solution-focused approach, with strong written and spoken communication skills, as well as relationship-building skills
- PhD in polymer physics or material science
- Strong communication skills in English (both written and spoken) are required, German is a plus
- Flexible work practices
More about us
The Materials group at the ABB research center in Switzerland develops new materials solutions ranging covering polymers, metals, ceramics and composites for current and future electrical systems and novel applications. Our solutions are used to support the development of next-generation products. This is a unique opportunity if you have the desire to carry out research in an evolving field, to contribute with your expertise to ABB’s success by reinforcing our team of scientists and engineers. If you are passionate about science and technology and want to work in an inspiring environment where your skills and ideas become part of important questions, then apply now.
Interested in joining our team? If so, we look forward to receiving your full application (motivation letter, CV, references) only via our online careers tool. The recruiting process is being led by Raphael Messer, Talent Partner ABB Switzerland Ltd.
A better world begins with you at https://new.abb.com/ch/karriere
ABB Data Privacy Statement: